Monday, November 14, 2005

Chinna Thirai SOAPS - A toll on health, performance and the state of mind

Typically, after yet another tired day at work - writing emails, chatting with friends at the pantry, browsing and a couple of hours of real work... - believe me it gets really tiring, I go back home to relax . I switch on the television, expecting to view some shows that would lighten me up; before going to bed so that I can rejuvenate myself for the evening and have a good night's sleep. I thought - that is what entertainment was all about.

In an attempt to be closely-associated with India - especially Chennai and what's happening there, I watch SUNTV. My typical evening starts with the News at 8:00 and ends with Manaivi at 11:00. While enjoy I keeping up-to-date with the current affairs of TN, its getting harder and harder to digest the thick sentiments of family feud in the SOAPS that follow. Kolangal to Selvi to Manaivi, the drama is too heavy for me to go to bed with a relaxed mind. However, I must admit that I am addicted to watch these programmes - not so much for the quality as much for the satisfaction of living in extended Chennai that I miss a lot.

Recently I have resorted to keeping up late and switch to the American Channels to lighten my mind after the two-and-a-half hour trauma ride. I watch "Everybody loves Raymond" followed by "Friends" followed by "Will and Grace" and end it up with "Fraiser" or at times even beyond that with some late night comedy. It takes that much to get out of the sorrow my mind goes through while watching "Abhi" of Kolangal fight her way through the difficulties or the challenges that "Selvi" has to encounter.
Honestly, it is taking a toll on me and it is showing. I end up late to work the next day. Mr. Maran, how about some genuine comedy during the "prime time"?
Excuse me; not the likes of "Chinna Paapa..." or "Vikramadityaa" ... something genuine. I would prefer your drama to that kind of comedy. How about a serial where the story moves? Even if it means a remake of the English SOAPS mentioned above. Indianised version - i mean. Like "Priyamaana Raman" for "Everybody Loves Raymond". Are we not capable. Our movies have good comedy, why not bring them to Chinna Thirai.
I have been thinking of that for sometime now.